Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Putting forward boundaries and questions that I need to deliberate or even write down answers that could perhaps help me initiate the process into
designing and constructing this so called tailored? Jacket?

In class we put forward suggestions and our thoughts to what we
believed a jacket is and what tailoring means.

In a response to Mick's comment what constitutes a jacket and what constitutes tailoring I’m still trying to jot down what I think these both mean.
There is no right or wrong answer as one can make the jacket in any form of silhouette and a variety of construction
methods.

Begining with why do we wear jackets?
It is like a 2nd skin, protects us from the
outside surroundings.
Made for warmth to insulate the wearer from the cold. Or perhaps its function is to act similarly like a towel, worn to soak up sweat and to hide t
he
dirty sweat patches? Again this poses the question of does a jacket need sleeves? Can it be sleeveless or have short sleeves like a t-shirt?

Placing my 'jacket' in a context by designing it for a specific function is what I keep reminding myself, again keeping in mind of having a 'theme & audience',
which we can choose from the outcome or throughout the process.

At the begining of the semester I was looking at designing a tailored jacket for either a sport or an activity that one does not wear a tailored jacket normally.
I was looking at sports that I have an interest in such as, gymnastics, skiing/snowboarding, rowing, or leisure activities including rollerblading etc.
Taking these functions that are needed for the person to participate in that activity will have to be present in the jacket. Some elements that will be
functional and other parts that may lo
ok functional but are not. The tension between function and just for looks, the tensions between movements yet comfort.

But through research I think I have steered away from this (maybe not maybe it will come back into my brain)
but what I have been looking at, still the sporting side because like all , the concept of movement is important in designing a jacket, I was looking at
sports like fencing where the jacket offers protection from the ou
tside world , its opponent.
From here I was looking at “PROTECTION yes the jacket acts as a shell a form of protection, What I am noticing is that they are armor like.
Layers lik
e shield over shield, the padding involved to build up this layering is done with wadding that creates this 3d aspect.


Perhaps I am going to look into the tensions between sharp bold 3d elements compared to soft layers that can protect that wearer.


Besides armor like i
mages I have taken the concept of how animals act against their predators. For instance the lizard












“If the lizard is threatened by a predator, it ruffles out his "mane" to make himself look tough
-The ruff folds neatly at the lizards neck.

-When it opens, it opens into a series of pleats.

-The pattern on the ruff blends in with the surroundings.

-When the lizard is startled it spreads ruff, opens mouth wide, hisses, and flicks tail from side to side.”
http://library.thinkquest.org/5053/Australia/australianfrilledlizard.html viewed 20-8-09

“Many lizards can detach their tails in order to escape from predators, an act called autotomy, but this trait is not universal. Vision, including color vision, is particularly well developed in most lizards, and most communicate with body language orbright colors on their bodies as well as with pheromones.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard viewed 20-8-09.

Again taking into the consideration of Technical and creative, and the components that make a jacket functional which are related to this theme of protection.I have some ideas of having pockets that are visible from the exterior however there are layers within that can be taken out in soft folds.creating bold and padded should pads that depict authority and using the neckline to demonstrate how one can protect itself through the use of big and
bold collars that extend out like a mane
or enclose parts of the face. Hindering the body from its prey. or does the body have to be enclosed?These are just ideas that spring to mind, the paper of my folio awaits the images that will be sucked from my brain and expressed onto the white paper,hopefully my drawings will express what I try tell you in words, (because i cant draw) and eventually be viewed on the blog. Only with time my friends…..

No comments:

Post a Comment