Tuesday, September 1, 2009


Taking these functions that are needed for the person to participate in that activity will have to be present in the jacket.

The two primary tensions are movement and protection

Some elements that will be functional and other parts that may look functional but are not, they are only there to PHYSICALLY PROTECT
the wearer

What are the functional aspects of the jacket?
As obviously the main function is to protect the wearer. E.g. the shell will cover the whole chest, front back and venturing into the face.
One of the most important is an opening. Getting into the jacket and out of the jacket easily.
Creating minimal bulk, because I want to make the garment rather 3d with padding and building up areas I will have to do a bit of research into the materials I will use things such as, piping/tubing. Wadding or foam. Canvas plates or sourcing a contrast bulky fabric that will go with the unfortunately supplied wool.

I am looking into ways that the body can act as a defense mechanism, like animals when that get defensive they have a tendency to flare out! To unleash their weapons of self-destruction.
I am thinking of ways in which these protective parts are hidden and you pull a cord and wella the jacket transforms into a protective state. If I want to incorporate this I really need to think and work out how it will come out (because its not as easy as pulling a cord and there you go, need to consider how this will happen and where will it be stored e.g. In a jet pocket? Or a flap?

What are the nonfunctional aspects of the jacket?
So the other non-functional parts of the jacket will be primarily for looks to achieve the desired outcome of “protection”

This will be just areas built up. On the shoulders and perhaps the sleeves and back?
Other things that come to mind that may be non functional I don’t know still trying to pluck ideas to paper.

I needed to jot down the areas and parts of the jacket I want to focus on. So here is a brainstorm.
Because I have so many things running through my head, I think the best way in terms of designing this jacket will be designing in sections first so like collar, back, sleeves, shoulders, etc. (Mick is that an ok way?)
Then start to pull bits and pieces and see what works and what doesn’t (visually on paper)

I’m kind of scared because its week 7 when we get back and we have to have a complete design. I’m still confused if were allowed to experiment with our toiles so that the design we put to paper now can alter as we go along?
(Also Mick are we allowed to on the fist class back just experiment with shapes and testing wadding foam etc? or do we have to start drafting the design?)

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds good Milz. The drafting and toiling is all part of developing the design. I would expect that the design changes throughout this process. If designing in sections works for you then give it a go. MP

    ReplyDelete